What is MULTI SEAL®?
MULTI SEAL® is a line of high-performance tire sealants designed to stop under-inflation from punctures and slow leaks.
What is a high performance tire sealant?
- Effectively and immediately seals large punctures
- Effectively and immediately seals slow leaks – bead leaks, leaks due to rubber porosity, leaks around the valve stem, etc.
- Does not react with or damage the tire casing
- Corrosion inhibited for steel and aluminum
- Plug integrity lasts the life cycle of the tire
- Sealant lasts the life cycle of the tire
- Does not separate
- Water washable
- Retreadable and repairable
- Freeze protected
- Sets the standard for integrity
What is meant by "sets the standard for integrity"?
- Simply put…” you do what you say and you say what you do”. Too many tire sealant companies have made false or exaggerated claims over the years. This has led many users to distrust tire sealants as a whole. MULTI SEAL® strives to set reasonable expectations for our products. We will never claim that MULTI SEAL® will seal 100% of all punctures or leaks. As our founder would say: “It is realized, however, that even superior tire sealants have limitations and that no sealant can chainsaw proof a tire”.
- MULTI SEAL® will not make any claims that are not backed by science or field data. Our pedigree is science and it is a guiding principle for all decisions we make.
Does MULTI SEAL® make their own tire sealants?
- MULTI SEAL® manufactures our own tire sealants. We are experts in tire sealants and the art of making a high-performance tire sealant. In fact, tire sealants are all we do! Keeping manufacturing in-house allows us to maintain control over all aspects of the process and to deliver the highest quality possible to our customers.
Is MULTI SEAL® a preventive maintenance product or a flat fixer?
- MULTI SEAL® is intended to be a preventative maintenance product. Put the product in the tire from day 1 and enjoy the 24/7 protection it provides you!
- With that said, we do have customers that use the MULTI SEAL® product as a flat fixer. Please remember that a tire that has been run severely under-inflated is more than likely an unsafe tire and should be inspected by a professional.
Is MULTI SEAL® a one size fits all solution?
- MULTI SEAL® does not believe in one size fits all solutions. Based on this, we have created and are continuing to expand a full line of tire sealants to meet our customer’s needs:
- Heavy Duty (Standard and Environmental Formulas) – Our workhorse product. Seals puncture up to ¾”.
- Armor Seal – Our premium product designed for the most hazardous environments. Seals puncture up to 1 ¼” in tires that are 18 plies or greater.
- Hydro Seal – Specifically designed for ballast-filled tires. Seals puncture up to ½”.
- Sports Formula – Designed for the power sports market. Seals puncture up to ½”.
- Do you have a unique need? MULTI SEAL® can formulate a solution in-house!
Can I use MULTI SEAL® in passenger vehicles?
- MULTI SEAL® does not recommend the use of our products in passenger vehicles (including ½ ton trucks). Does our product seal punctures and slow leaks in passenger car tires? Is there a chance for high-speed vibration? Yes. Does this happen in every passenger car tire? No. We are conservative in our approach and we would rather sacrifice some business instead of having unhappy customers.
- You may be asking yourself, why would there be potential high-speed vibration in passenger car tires treated with sealant? Many factors influence this such as: lighter construction of the tire, lower tire pressure, lighter vehicle weight, lighter construction of the suspension, tire deflection during road impacts, and size of the road contact patch. In many cases, if the tire is slightly out of balance, the sealant can amplify the problem.
- Frankly, we are wary of any sealant that recommends use in passenger vehicles. Don’t be fooled by outrageous claims that a sealant has special ingredients that make it balance tires. The physics of any liquid at high speed in a passenger car tire is the same. In many cases, the recommended dosage is so small that you do not get effective tire coverage.
How does MULTI SEAL® prevent under-inflation from punctures?
- MULTI SEAL® is a high tech system of synthetic fibers and fillers in a carefully designed liquid suspension. When a puncture occurs, the escaping air carries MULTI SEAL® to the hole. The fibers cling to the side of the puncture and form a “filter” which entrap the fillers. A plug is formed which seals the leak instantly with almost no air loss. As the tire flexes under load, the fiber/filler mass compresses to form a dense and permanent plug (There is absolutely no drying, curing, or chemical reaction taking place. It is mechanical/physical plug). The process is the same whether or not the penetrating object stays in the tire. The process will repeat itself for each additional puncture.
- Up to 95% of tread area punctures are sealed in tubeless tires and up to 70% of tread area punctures are sealed in tubed tires.
How does MULTI SEAL® prevent under-inflation from slow leaks?
- Under-inflation occurs: 1) naturally because of the porous nature of tire rubber and 2) because of slow leaks around the rim and the valve stem. MULTI SEAL® coats the inside of the tire, dramatically reducing porosity. As the sealant spreads around the tire and rim, slow leaks from the bead, pinholes in the rim, and leaking valve stem problems are fixed in a similar fashion to punctures. Since the sealant lasts the life of the tire, the need to frequently “air up” the tire is significantly reduced.
Why is there a difference in the effectiveness between tubed and tubeless tires?
- We claim lower effectiveness on tubed tires for several reasons:
- In many cases, the tubes are very thin and cheaply made. This can lead to the tubes ripping when punctured which makes them very difficult to seal.
- We also see a lot of tubes that are not properly sized for the tire – either too big or too small. This can also lead to ineffective sealing due to the movement of the tube in the tire or ripping.
What about side walls?
- For high-speed applications (>45 mph), we would recommend that any sidewall puncture be inspected by a professional.
- For low-speed applications, in most cases, if the sealant can get to the wound it will seal the puncture. Please keep in mind that the construction of the sidewall is very different from the tread area and there is a lot more flex which makes it more difficult for the sealant to form a stable plug.
Does MULTI SEAL® damage rims?
- MULTI SEAL® contains a powerful anti-corrosion formula specifically designed to prevent rust and corrosion on all types of rims – steel, aluminum, painted or unpainted, coated or uncoated, as well as protecting the valve stem fitting.
- MULTI SEAL® will NOT fix an already rusty or corroded rim – no sealant will. Prior to installing MULTI SEAL®, make sure that the rim is free of corrosion or rust. A corroded rim is an unsafe rim. Beware of any sealant that claims to remove rust or fix damaged inner liners.
Does MULTI SEAL® damage tires?
- MULTI SEAL® is inert to tire rubber.
Is MULTI SEAL® flammable?
- MULTI SEAL® will NOT catch fire. It is non-flammable by any measure. When MULTI SEAL® is heated to a high temperature, whether by direct flame, spark, conduction, whatever, it simply boils away and does not burn.
How long does MULTI SEAL® last?
- MULTI SEAL lasts the life of the tire. It will not dry out, separate, or lose effectiveness even after years of service, as long as the tire remains on the rim. In harsh conditions, many punctures can cause the sealant to be “used up” as it takes some sealant to fix the wound each time.
Does MULTI SEAL® balance tires like some sealants claim?
- MULTI SEAL® does not claim to be a “balancer”. Please see question #7 on passenger vehicle tire balance.
- The three key factors to MULTI SEAL® tire sealants NOT causing vibration in a vehicle are:
- Appropriate vehicle application – MULTI SEAL® recommends the high speed (>45mph) use of our sealants in a minimum of ¾ ton payload vehicles and in any trailers.
- Correct sealant dosage – Overdosing of the sealant can lead to potential high-speed vibration. Please strictly adhere to the recommended high-speed dosages given in our Application Chart.
- Tires are balanced and wheels are true prior to installation of the sealant.
- Although MULTI SEAL® does not formally claim this benefit, we have received anecdotal evidence from the field that our sealant can hydro-dynamically balance tires such as those found on 18 wheelers (ex – 11-22.5). The mechanism of balancing is no different than any other product that claims to balance tires such as balancing liquids/beads/powder. We have the added benefit of sealing punctures and slow leaks!
- MULTI SEAL® is not to be used with bead balancers or mixed with any other type of balancer.
Is MULTI SEAL® safe for Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) systems?
- The simple answer is that it depends on the type of TPMS system. Some are designed to be compatible with any liquid.
- Many specifically state that they are not compatible with liquids and that liquids could cause an error code.
- Beware of sealants that state they are “TPMS Safe” as this really depends on the type of TPMS system. There is nothing magical that is added to make the sealant “TPMS Safe”….a liquid is a liquid. Be sure to read the fine print.
How do I get MULTI SEAL® into my tire?
- MULTI SEAL offers many different options for installing the product:
- 32oz squeezable bottle
- 1oz pump for the gallon bottle
- 5 gal pail pump
- Pneumatic injection cart
- Pre-measured bags
- In most cases, the sealant is injected through the valve stem after the valve core is removed. Some industrial customers prefer to dose the tire before it is mounted on the wheel (pre-measured bags).
- Contact your MULTI SEAL sales representative or MULTI SEAL technical support for advice on the best method for you
How much MULTI SEAL® do you put in a tire?
- MULTI SEAL supplies an Application Chart covering almost every tire size, showing the amount to be installed either for on-road or off-road use. The quantities for each tire are carefully matched to the tire size to make sure that just the right amount is used to be effective during the life of the tire, while not over-treating. This results in the most efficient and effective level of treatment. For tires not shown on the chart please contact us at 1-800-577-3353 or through our contact form here.
- The amount of Hydro Seal required is based on the amount of ballast in the tire. MULTI SEAL recommends a 10:1 ratio of ballast to sealant. Please see hydroflation charts on the website for estimates of ballast volumes in common agricultural tires.
Are tires treated with repairable and retreadable?
- Yes, tires treated with MULTI SEAL are completely repairable and retreadable.
What are the benefits of MULTI SEAL® to me?
- The primary benefit is increased tire safety. An underinflated tire is an unsafe tire!
- Positive side effects of maintaining proper tire pressure include: maximized tire life, better fuel economy, more retreads per casing, less catastrophic failures that lead to new tire purchases, and less collateral damage due to “blow outs”.
- Reduced downtime can be a huge factor for many end-users. What does downtime mean to me? A ruined weekend riding my four wheeler? Missing a deadline for work? Getting stuck in the middle of no-where on my tractor? Delaying a crop harvest?
- For Dealers, please contact your MULTI SEAL sales representative for details on how MULTI SEAL can be a value added addition to your current offerings.
Does MULTI SEAL® work in ballast filled tires?
- MULTI SEAL Hydro Seal is specifically formulated for use in ballast filled tires. Water, glycol (antifreeze), and calcium chloride solutions are all compatible ballasts for Hydro Seal. Please contact us for compatibility with other ballast materials.
Where can I find technical support for MULTI SEAL®?
- Either call 1-800-577-3353 and ask for technical support or fill out the technical service request form on this website.
Where can I buy MULTI SEAL®?
- MULTI SEAL® is sold to resellers either directly or through distributors. Please contact MULTI SEAL® directly by phone or contact form to find out how to purchase MULTI SEAL® for resale.
- MULTI SEAL® consumer size packages (5 gallon, 1 gallon, and 1-liter containers) are distributed to retailers throughout the US – agricultural equipment suppliers, tire service centers, power sports stores, RV centers and various specialty stores (hardware stores, etc.). To find a retailer near you, just contact us at 1-800-577-3353 or through our contact form here. If you are an inconvenient distance from a place to purchase MULTI SEAL®, just call us and we will help you from here!